back to top
IndiaRajnath arriving in valley to review situation

Rajnath arriving in valley to review situation


17 injured in clashes, Curfew lifted in Srinagar

New Delhi/Srinagar,  August 23

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will undertake a two-day visit to the Valley on Wednesday during which he will review the situation and may hold talks with a cross-section of people, a move which comes a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed “deep concern and pain” over the situation there.

This is the second visit of Singh in a month to the valley which has been witnessing unrest since July 8 when Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces.

The Home Minister had said the Centre wanted an emotional relationship with the state and not just need-based.

Singh had said the central government would talk to whosoever needed once peace and normalcy is restored in the state.

“As far as Government of is concerned, I want to make it clear that we don't just want need-based ties, but to build an emotional relationship with Kashmir,” he said, reaching out to the people in the Valley while making a fervent appeal to them to help restore peace and normalcy in the state.

Seventeen people were injured on Tuesday in action by security forces after fresh clashes broke out between them and stone-pelting mobs in Shopian district, police said.

Thirteen were discharged after being administered first aid at a local hospital.

Hundreds were protesting against recent civilian killings in the Valley at Vehil village on Tuesday afternoon when some among them began pelting stones at security forces, a police official said.

Security forces retaliated with tear-smoke shells and pellet guns.

“Four of the injured have been referred to hospitals in Srinagar for specialised treatment,” he said.

Reports of violence were also received from Srinagar's Nowgam, Khushhaalpora in Sopore in Baramulla district and Bandipora town, the official said.

Though the curfew was relaxed on Tuesday morning from most areas of Srinagar and other main towns of Kashmir valley, the situation turned ugly when various towns and villages again witnessed protests and clashes during which more than two dozen protestors sustained injuries.

Meanwhile, Kashmir valley remained affected for the 46th straight day due to the curfew and restrictions imposed by the authorities.

As per the reports there was no respite in curfew and restrictions in some sensitive towns including Anantnag, Sopore, Pulwama and others.

A top police official said the curfew was lifted in many areas of Kashmir valley after authorities sensed an improvement in the situation in these areas.

The authorities relaxed curfew for eight hours in the jurisdiction of 12 police stations in Srinagar from 9 AM and the relaxation period passed off peacefully.

Meanwhile, witnesses said that nearly a dozen of civilians were injured after forces opened to fire and teargas canisters on protestors in South Kashmir's Shopian district. “Forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth who in return pelted stones on them near Vihil, Nowgam area of Shopian. Forces opened fire during which nearly a dozen of civilians were injured,” witnesses said.

They said that injured persons were shifted to District Hospital Shopian for treatment while three among the injured persons were referred to Srinagar for specialized treatment.

Deputy Inspector General (DIG), Pulwama-Anantnag-Shopian  Range, Ghulam Hassan Bhat told that the situation remained peaceful throughout the day. “No reports of clashes were reported throughout the day,” he said.

Three youth were arrested by the police during the clashes between youth and forces in Hom village of Tangmarg.

Earlier protesters blocked the main Khaipora road after which Police resorted to teargas shelling and aerial firing triggering clashes between youth and forces.

Witnesses said that there were no reports of injury during the clashes.

Meanwhile, reports said that protesters attacked MLA, Bandipore, Usman Majid's official residence in Bandipora.

Witnesses informed that dozens of youngsters reached near the MLA's official residence and started pelting stones.

Prior to this incident the protesters had staged protests near Higher Secondary School, Kaloosa when clashes erupted between government forces and protesters resulting into the use of teargas, pellet firing and aerial firing to disperse the protesters.

In north Kashmir's Bandipora district, forces dispersed the people who tried to stage protest against the civilian killings in Kashmir triggering clashes in the areas during which a woman got injured. “Haseena, an injured woman was shifted to District Hospital Bandipora after pellets hit her arm and abdomen,” witnesses said.

Meanwhile, clashes broke out in the late afternoon when forces entered into Malangam village and tore down the Pakistani flags, which were hoisted by the youth there. “Forces used tear gas canisters and pellets to disperse the protesting youth,” reports said.

However, no reports of any injuries were received.

Deputy Inspector General (DIG), North Kashmir Range, Uttam Chand told  that the situation remained peaceful throughout the day. “No clashes or protests were reported in north Kashmir,” he said.

MHA deploys BSF to control protestors

MHA sources say BSF deployment will imply extra boots on ground and will help in controlling the protestors.

The Home Ministry today cleared deployment of Border Security Force (BSF) in Kashmir Valley to deal with protestors. A total of 56 BSF companies are to be deployed.

As per high level sources, while 26 companies of BSF are already on the way, the rest 30 companies will be sent soon. MHA sources say BSF deployment will imply extra boots on ground and will help in controlling the protestors.

BSF was taken off counter-insurgency operations in and Kashmir in 2004, and has been deployed in Srinagar after a gap of 12 years.

This is for the first time since 2004 that BSF has been called for active duty in the city.

The BSF, which conducted anti-terrorist operations in Kashmir for nearly 13 years from 1991, was replaced in the city by CRPF in 2004 during Upa regime.

The BSF troops were then moved to their primary duty of guarding the Line of Control and the border.

The Northlines is an independent source on the Web for news, facts and figures relating to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and its neighbourhood.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:


More like this

Jammu-Srinagar National Highway Blocked For Traffic After Landslide At Gangroo

Jammu, Apr 22: Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was blocked for...

NIA carries out raids at 9 locations in Jammu and Kashmir’s Srinagar in terror-related case

Srinagar, Apr 22: The National Investigation Agency on Monday...

Supreme Court allows 14-year-old rape survivor to abort 30-week pregnancy

New Delhi, Apr 22: The Supreme Court on Monday...

Lok Sabha election: Repolling under way at 11 polling stations in Manipur

Imphal, Apr 22: Repolling is under way at 11...