back to top
IndiaModi Govt playing with national security by ‘Imposing’ Agnipath Scheme: Congress

Modi Govt playing with national security by ‘Imposing’ Agnipath Scheme: Congress

Date:

NEW DELHI, May 28: The Congress on Tuesday accused the Modi Government of playing with security by “imposing” the Agnipath scheme, and said the military recruitment programme would be scrapped when an bloc Government is formed at the Centre to give justice to the patriotic youth of the country.

The Congress also said that the Agnipath scheme is a “national security threat” and it has shrunk the stream of recruitment which can compromise the country's security for the next decade.

“By imposing the Agniveer scheme, the Modi Government has played with India's national security. We have three questions, whose befitting reply the public will now give to BJP in the last phase of the elections,” Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge said in a post in Hindi on X.

“Is it not true that Agnipath has reduced the number of recruitments from 75,000 per year to 46,000 per year? Is it not true that the Minister of the country has to repeatedly reiterate that he will reconsider the Agniveer scheme, make changes and improvements in it,” he asked.

“Is it not true that the Department of Military Affairs (DMA) and the Army are concerned about the continuing decline in induction of new soldiers which is set to reach its highest level by the end of this decade,” the Congress chief asked in his post.

He said on one hand, the country's borders are facing Chinese infiltration, occupation and encroachment, for which more military force is needed, on the other hand, the Modi government has “destroyed” the lives of our patriotic youth through the Agnipath scheme.

“The Congress guarantees that we will scrap the Agniveer scheme. Only then will our patriotic youth get justice! Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan, Jai Hindustan,” Kharge said.

Earlier in the day, Congress general secretary Jairam Ramesh said that the scheme was a “national security threat”.

His attack on the government came over a media report which claimed that the Department of Military Affairs is “actively” taking stock of the feedback on serving Agniveers from the services to analyse the effects of their induction to make the commensurate changes suitable for the Army, Air Force and the Navy.

In a post on X, Ramesh said, “The Indian Armed Forces need to maintain a dense/continuous deployment of personnel along Eastern to protect against Chinese aggression”.

“Agnipath has shrunk the stream of recruitment from 75,000 per year to 46,000 per year – the resulting shortfall of personnel can compromise our security for the next decade,” Ramesh claimed.

‘Agniveers' also have a mere six months of training before being considered battle-ready, he said.

“This is the result of a policy that the Modi Sarkar made with zero forethought, zero consultation, and in the face of active opposition of the three Army chiefs. The outgoing PM/sva-ghoshit Bhagwan's arrogance is more sacrosanct than the security of the country,” Ramesh said.

Northlines
Northlines
The Northlines is an independent source on the Web for news, facts and figures relating to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and its neighbourhood.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

ISRO completes its Reusable Launch Vehicle technology demonstrations through LEX trio Bengaluru

Bengaluru, Jun 23: Space agency ISRO on Sunday said...

Row over NEET-UG rages on: Govt sets up 7-member panel to reform exams, review NTA

New Delhi: The Ministry of Education on Saturday constituted...

NTA chief shunted out, CBI to probe NEET ‘irregularities’

New Delhi: Amid the raging controversy over the conduct...

Intention Of Centre To Levy GST On Petrol, Diesel; States Will Have To Decide On Rate: FM

NEW DELHI, June 22: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on...