back to top
    Jammu KashmirTraffic to halt during Army convoy movement

    Traffic to halt during Army convoy movement

    Date:

    Post-militants' attacks on Highways:

    Traffic to halt during Army convoy movement

    Srinagar, Dec 22: In a bid to foil militant attacks, the movement of private and public transport may not be allowed during the Army Convoy movement on Srinagar high way. The decision has been taken in a high level meeting after the militant attack on an Army convoy in Pampore of Pulwama district. The attack left three Army men dead.

    Reliable Defense sources informed that for the safe passage and movement of the Army Convoy's on Srinagar-Jammu highway, the movement of the private vehicles may not be allowed from Banihal to Pampore. Sources added that special check posts will be created at Galandar, Kadlabal, Sempore and other restive places to secure the property and lives of Security personnel. There are reports that special commandos will be deployed at different points on highway to ensure the safe passage of security convoy. “The decision has been taken to avoid militant attacks on the vulnerable Srinagar-Jammu highway.”

    According to Defense sources, modern will be put in use on the highway to foil militant attacks while scores of policemen in civvies have also been deployed to keep an eye on the suspected elements.

    Pertinently, militants have managed to inflict heavy damages during their attacks on security vehicles at different places on Srinagar-Jammu highway particularly from Khanabal to Pampore.

    A police official wishing anonymity said that sensitive points from Banihal to Pampore on highway have been identified where security bunkers will be setup. “We are also mulling to install CCTV cameras to observe the movement of suspected elements.”

    The series of recent fatalist attacks on armed forces' convoy on the highways seems behind the decision of going back to the strategy of late 1990's to deal with the situation. Earlier in 90's commuters faced lot of inconvenience as they were directed to halt their vehicles during the movement of security convoy's on the roads. If the present decision of the government will be implemented in and spirit, commuters have to recall the old days of hardship of road.

    Defense spokesperson Colonel Manish Mehta told a news agency that the issue related to halting of private vehicles during the convoy movement surfaced in a security meeting, but no decision has been taken so far in this regard.

    Northlines
    Northlines
    The Northlines is an independent source on the Web for news, facts and figures relating to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and its neighbourhood.

    Share post:

    Popular

    More like this
    Related

    4 Govt employees dismissed for ‘deep involvement’ in anti-national activities

    Srinagar, Jul 23: The Jammu Kashmir Government on Tuesday...

    10 Shops gutted in blaze at Market in Uri

    Srinagar, July 23: At least 10 shops were gutted...

    Drone-based seed dispersal launched to enhance green cover of Vaishno Devi Hills

    Jammu Tawi, Jul 23: The Shri Mata Vaishno Devi...

    Can such order be issued for Amarnath pilgrims? Omar on Kanwar Yatra order

    Srinagar, Jul 23: National Conference (NC) vice president Omar...