back to top
IndiaNo surgical strikes held under UPA, says Parrikar

No surgical strikes held under UPA, says Parrikar

Date:

Mumbai, October 12  Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday rejected claims that surgical strikes were undertaken during the UPA regime and asserted that a “major” share of credit for the army action last month goes to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.  Speaking at two different functions, Parrikar said the “doubting Thomases” can share credit for the operation, though a “major” share goes to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the government for decision-making and planning.  He also made it clear that claims of having carried out such strikes earlier were wrong as such actions were undertaken by border action teams at local level “without the knowledge” of the government.  “I don't mind sharing the credit, including on surgical strike, with every countryman because it is done by our armed forces and not by any political party.  “We in the government and I personally as the Defence Minister are happy to share the credit with the Army, the 127 crore citizens and also those doubting Thomases,” he said at a function here.  The Minister said it will settle the nerves of many, in an apparent dig at the Opposition parties which have been accusing the Modi Government and the BJP of taking credit for the Army action for political gains.  Several Opposition leaders and parties have also questioned the surgical strike and have sought proof while the Congress has said that similar operations were undertaken during its tenure also.  Parrikar, however, asserted that a major share of the credit for the strikes does go to the Prime Minister and the government for decision-making and planning.  The Minister said he understands the sentiments of the people who are satisfied after the surgical strikes.  Parrikar also denied that the government has leaked information about the September 28-29 surgical strikes on seven terrorist launch pads in PoK.  “There is a difference between covert and overt operations. We have asked the Army to share with the nation about their operations,” Parrikar said. He was speaking while inaugurating an exhibition on ‘ and material sciences' at Navi Mumbai near here.  The Defence Minister said “there were no surgical strikes ever carried out by Indian Army” (prior to the September 29 strikes).  “The earlier military actions were carried out mostly in low intensity and were covert. The reports used to be communicated later to the higher authorities. This was the first such strike which was approved by the government,” he said.  Parrikar was speaking on the topic “strengthening 's defence capabilities”, anchored by security analyst Nitin Gokhale, in suburban Bandra here.  Asked about preparations in weapons development, the defence minister said, “Based on the Howitzer model, a light gun is in its final stage. Its weight would be 30 per cent of the existing cannons deployed in mountains. Artillery guns 155×52 caliber are also going to be replaced soon. These two are major developments in weapons development,” he said. — PTI

Northlines
Northlines
The Northlines is an independent source on the Web for news, facts and figures relating to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and its neighbourhood.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

MHT CET 2024 Results Out: Check Your Score at cetcell.mahacet.org

The results for the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MHT...

Three Cheers for Three Years of Awaam Ki Awaaz!

LG congratulates the people of J&K for their...

Shah’s Bold Move: Area Domination, Zero-Terror Plans Unveiled In Jammu!

NEW DELHI, June 16: Union Home Minister Amit Shah...

Union Law Minister Reveals Shocking New Criminal Laws for July!

Calcutta, June 16: Union Minister of State for Law...