back to top
IndiaGrenade attack on Police Station in Kashmir Valley

Grenade attack on Police Station in Kashmir Valley


 One killed, 23 hurt in violence in valley

Curfew had been imposed as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in the Valley.

Srinagar, July 15: One person was killed and 23 others, including 9 security men, were injured in violence today in Kashmir which saw mobs defying curfew in many parts to indulge in stone-pelting, along with which a police station was attacked with a grenade and firing by suspected terrorists from amidst the crowd.

The Amarnath Yatra continued to be suspended for the second consecutive day, with no pilgrims being allowed from to move towards the Valley.

Authorities had imposed curfew in all the 10 districts of Kashmir fearing trouble as it was the first Friday after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani and his two associates.

However, mobs defied curfew at many places, including Kupwara, Baramulla, Sopore, Ganderbal, Rafiabad, Bandipora, Kulgam and Pulwama, a police official said.

In Drugmulla in Kupwara district, a mob targeted security forces who opened fire in response, resulting in injuries to three civilians, a police official said.

One of the injured, Mushtaq Ahmad Ganie, succumbed to injuries later, he said. With this death, the toll in the current unrest has gone up to 37, including one policeman.

A patrol party of security forces was attacked by a mob with stones at Delina in Baramulla district this morning, injuring three security personnel, the official said.

In retaliation, security forces opened fire in which three civilians were injured. Condition of all the injured is stated to be stable, he added.

A man was critically injured in firing by security forces on stone-pelting mobs at Manigam in central Kashmir's Ganderbal district, the official said, adding the injured was undergoing surgery at SMHS hospital.

A mob indulged in stone-pelting in Sopore and in the retaliatory action, four persons sustained pellet injuries.

Two others were injured in clashes in nearby Pattan town, the official said.

Two other persons were injured in a similar incident in Shopian district town, he said.

Yaripora area of Kulgam in valley saw a grenade attack followed by firing on a police station during stone- pelting, resulting in injuries to six police personnel, the official said.

“Someone from the mob hurled a grenade towards the police personnel during stone pelting on police station Yaripora. The grenade attack was followed by firing also,” he said.

Police has been saying that terrorists merge with stone-pelters to carry out attacks on security personnel, using civilians as a shield.

Curfew had been imposed as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in the Valley where 36 people have died and over 3,100 others, including 1,500 securitymen, injured in the week-long clashes following Burhan's killing in an encounter in Kokernag.

The decision to impose curfew was taken in view of apprehensions that vested interests might exploit the large gatherings at Friday prayers to instigate violence, an official said.

Meanwhile, separatists today extended the shutdown call in Kashmir by two days till July 18.

The Northlines is an independent source on the Web for news, facts and figures relating to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and its neighbourhood.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:


More like this

Excise ‘scam’: Delhi court reserves order on bail pleas of AAP leader Manish Sisodia

New Delhi, Apr 20: A court here on Saturday...

India set for major overhaul of criminal justice system with new laws: CJI

New Delhi, Apr 20: Chief Justice of India (CJI)...

On T20 World Cup Selection, Sanjay Manjrekar Warns India Selectors Against Snubbing This Star

New Delhi, Apr 20: Former India batter Sanjay Manjrekar...