back to top
IndiaBangladesh bans Islamic Peace TV, tracks students after attacks

Bangladesh bans Islamic Peace TV, tracks students after attacks

Date:

The measures come after several suspected Islamist extremists were reported to be fans of the television channel run by Zakir Naik

Dhaka (AFP), July 10: Bangladesh moved to counter a deadly wave of Islamist attacks on Sunday, ordering an Islamic television station to stop broadcasting and telling schools to report any missing students.

The measures come after several suspected Islamist extremists were reported to be fans of the television channel, while others were found to be from elite universities but had been missing for months.

A Bangladesh cabinet committee decided to ban Peace TV from the country, information minister Hasanul Haq Inu told journalists on Sunday.

The station is run by Indian doctor-turned-preacher Zakir Naik, the founder and president of Mumbai-based Islamic Research Foundation, and its programmes are aired from Dubai.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina earlier in the day called on every school, college and university to “create a list of absent students and publish it”.

Bangladesh has been reeling from dozens of attacks, mainly targeting secular activists or religious minorities.

“We will be rigorous,” the premier said. “We must uproot militancy and terrorism from Bangladesh.”

Three of the alleged jihadists who participated in an attack on a Dhaka cafe last week, in which 20 hostages were murdered, attended top schools and universities in the Bangladeshi capital.

The revelation that the attackers were educated, well-off members of society has sparked fears that Islamism has spread far beyond disenfranchised youngsters being radicalised in madrasas.

School authorities would now have to provide information on any students who have an unexplained absence of 10 days or more, minister Nurul Islam Nahid said.

Another student of a well-regarded university participated in a deadly attack in northern Bangladesh on Thursday that killed at least three people at a huge prayer gathering marking the start of Eid.

Police said both attacks were carried out by a banned local militant group, despite vocal claims from the Islamic State group that they were responsible for the siege at the Dhaka cafe.

Authorities, meanwhile, have launched a publicity blitz, urging parents to closely monitor their children. Television channels have broadcast of missing students and advertisements to deter extremism.

US assistant secretary of state Nisha Biswal flew to Dhaka on Sunday to discuss the security situation with Bangladesh foreign minister Mahmood Ali.

She offered US expertise in building Bangladesh's counterterrorism capabilities, the American embassy in Dhaka said in a statement.

“We will continue our assistance in combating the global threat of terrorism that our countries both confront,” she said. (AFP)

Northlines
Northlines
The Northlines is an independent source on the Web for news, facts and figures relating to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and its neighbourhood.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

PM Doubles Down Amid Row: ‘Congress Will Take Away Your Homes, Jewels’

New Delhi, Apr 22: Amid the massive row over...

Mehbooba Joined INDIA Alliance Just To Get Seat: Omar Abdullah

SRINAGAR, Apr 22: National Conference Vice President Omar Abdullah...

Kohli Fined 50 Per Cent Of Match Fees For IPL Code Of Conduct Breach

NEW DELHI, Apr 22: Star batter Virat Kohli was...

President Of India Confirms 24 Officers Of AGMUT Cadre In IPS

JAMMU, Apr 22: President of India has confirmed twenty-four...